Fairfax Cryobank donors live in the local communities surrounding our collection facilities in Fairfax, Virginia (metro Washington DC), Austin, Texas, Dallas, Texas and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. We draw heavily from the colleges and graduate programs in those areas, as well as recruiting successful professionals to become sperm donors. Men who are interested in becoming applicants must be between 18-39 years of age, healthy and have no other significant risk factors. (See information about the screening process below) Of those who originally apply, fewer than 1% actually are accepted as sperm donors for Fairfax Cryobank, indicative of our intensely rigorous screening processes.
During the required face to face interview with our experienced staff, donors often express the desire to help those who are unable to have children of their own. They may have observed similar experiences with family or friends and are therefore looking for a way to make a difference. This interview process is ongoing and allows us to get to know the donors as well as being an effective way to review information the donors provide about themselves and their families.
Donors are required to fill out a health history questionnaire with detailed information about themselves and their families, providing information about educational background and academic testing. They must also undergo a physical exam and extensive blood work to test for an array of disorders. Sperm samples are put through intensive scrutiny and must pass a minimum standard to be considered for the program. Once a donor has been accepted into the program, he is tested for infectious diseases on a recurring basis and must maintain a minimum sperm quality. Donors typically contract with Fairfax Cryobank for at least 6 months and will visit the Cryobank on average twice a week to provide specimens.
Fairfax Cryobank donors are separated into three categories, each defined below. Please check the fee schedule for differences in prices between the categories.
All donors have undergone the exact same intensive screening procedures of Fairfax Cryobank which includes a multi generational family history, physical examination, and extensive genetic and infectious disease testing.
NEW: May 1, 2013
Fairfax Cryobank expands donor selection to include ~100 Cryogenic Laboratories, Inc (CLI) donors.
Fairfax Cryobank is pleased to provide clients with more donor selection than ever before. Donors from our sister sperm bank, Cryogenic Laboratories, Inc (CLI), the first US sperm bank, are now available at Fairfax Cryobank. Of course, all donors meet our high quality standard and we have a central registry for pregnancy reporting along with a unified Client Services team ready to assist with inquiries.
FAIRFAX GRADUATE category includes anonymous and ID Option sperm donors. All donors in this category are in the process of earning or have completed a post college graduate degree. These donors include: masters level degrees, medical, dental, chiropractic, law (Juris Doctorate), veterinary, optometry, pharmacy, and Ph.D. students and graduates. The products and services available on Graduate donors are identical to the products and services available in the Fairfax category.
ANONYMOUS category is comprised of anonymous donors who offer extensive personal information, personal profiles, photo matching, staff impressions, donor essays, audio interview CDs and childhood photos in addition to summary and medical profiles. You will see both Fairfax Cryobank and CLI anonymous donors available.
ID OPTION donors agree to allow Fairfax Cryobank to share contact information with registered offspring, 18 or older, conceived by donor insemination with their semen specimen. Adult offspring who have been registered will be the ONLY individual(s) with the authority to request contact information and to have access to the identifying information.You will see both Fairfax Cryobank and CLI ID Option donors available. For more information and to download the ID Option Patient Agreement, please click here.
Not all ID Option Donor Programs were Created Equally!
ID Option sperm donors are sperm donors who agree to be contacted by offspring who were conceived with their samples. This is after the offspring reach the age of 18.
Fairfax Cryobank offers ID Option donors: donors who have signed a contract with us that they agree to have contact information shared with the offspring when the offspring reaches the age of 18.
Other sperm banks have ID programs and may not release donor names and contact information.
Here are some important questions to ask:
1. Will my donor's identity and contact information be released when my child turns 18 years old?
2. Does the donor have the option to change his mind later in life (about being an ID Option donor)?
3. Will you provide my child with the donor's contact information when my child contacts you or do you mediate contact with the donor?
4. What specific information will my child receive when he/she contacts you?
Fairfax Cryobank answers those questions:
1. Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor's contact information provided to us by the donor to a child from that donor's sperm once the child turns 18 years of age (as long as the child's birth was registered using our Birth Registration Form).
2. Once a donor opts to become an ID Option donor, our contract states he will remain an ID Option donor and have his contact information released to any of his adult offspring.
3. Fairfax Cryobank believes that offspring should be given the opportunity to contact an ID Option donor him or herself; therefore, we will release the donor's contact information to the adult offspring (as long as the child's birth was registered), we do not mediate contact. The contract between Fairfax Cryobank and the ID Option donor provides for this.
4. When your child turns 18 years of age, Fairfax Cryobank will release the donor's full name, date of birth, last known telephone number(s), email address, physical address, and other contact information that the donor previously agreed to release and previously provided to Fairfax Cryobank. We ask the ID Option donor to update his contact information on a yearly basis.
Other sperm banks may state that they have ID Option donors; however, they may either make the sharing of information voluntary on the part of the donor when the time comes, or they will interact with the donor on the offspring's behalf and not release his name and contact information. Offspring could call one of these other sperm banks at the age of 18 and not receive the donor's name and/or contact information.